Thursday, April 10, 2008

My Bad two days...

I'm 24 weeks and 4 days and up until yesterday, I've never bothered my OB for anything. Not that she ever seemed interested in solving my problems or answering my questions but everything was going great, so I never pushed it. Yesterday I woke up feeling sick. My back was hurting a lot and I felt so much pressure in my lower areas. It was scary so I called my OB and she called me back, sounding half asleep I might add, and told me to stay home and stay in bed. Nothing else. A few hours later, her nurse, Erin, called me to ask how I was. I told her I was still the same and she said okay and hung up. I waited a few more hours and called the OB back wondering what I should do about feeling this way. Her advice was go to MFM sooner than my next week appointment. So I made an appointment at MFM for this morning at 830. When I got to the appointment, they did the FFN test to make sure I wasn't going into preterm labor, that was negitive. They checked my cervix, it was long and closed and they checked to make sure I wasn't having contractions, I'm not. Then they sent me on my way. I called the dr and said that everything seemed to be fine but she wasn't in to make the decision of me going back to work and I asked why she wasn't seeing me to find out what happened yesterday. I was still crampy and wanted to know why. I felt like I had a bladder infection or something. So after asking and asking, they finally gave my appointment to come in. Here is how that appointment went.

I walk in at 315 pm (330 appt) and Erin says "come on back". I open the door and walk in. She shows me where the bathroom is. I know the routine, I do it every three weeks. She tells me to do a sterile collection, so I do. There is no pen in the bathroom to write my name so I carry the card and cup out to find a pen. I take it to the nurses' station and tell the nurse (well call Nurse B for short) that I couldn't find a pen and could I borrow hers. She doesn't even look at me and says "Don't worry about it, I don't need it" picks up her chart says "okay" and walks away. This is the part of the appointment where you sit in the green room or you get put into a room. Not knowing which to do, I waited, thinking Nurse B would come back in and tell me where to go. She didn't. I slowly walked back up to the front desk and waited. I saw Nurse B lean over to Erin and whisper. I heard my name, some more whispering and then the words "Just let her stand there". Erin then looked at me and told me to wait there for the dr. When the dr came in Nurse B walked over to her and said "Tina is...." she lowered her voice so I couldn't hear. The dr came out of her office with my chart and walked my into her office. She didn't look at me or ask me how I was feeling, just started writing. Her first words were "You can go to work now". I was dumbfounded. I said "My shift ends in an hour". She says "I don't know what you want to me to do. Do you want to go to work or not?" I said I did but it's to late for today and that I'll go tomorrow but that I wanted to know what the cramping was and if I should be worried about it or was it normal. She said "You're getting big." Then she stood up and without saying anything, left her office. I was crying by the time I got to the elevator. It was horrible. On the way home, I called my insurance and asked if a change of OB at 6 months was doable and she said yes, so I found an OB and called them. They said they'd have to review my charts but being that I've had an uncomplicated pregnancy it shouldn't be a problem. I made an appointment for Wednesday and hung up. I called my former OB office to ask them to send my records to this new place and here is how that went. "Dr.'s Office" "Hi, I'd like to have my records faxed to another clinic, how would I go about doing that" Nurse B "Hold on a minute". Billing lady "HI Tina" What!!! I never said it was Tina.. "Tina, listen, I don't know what happened here today but you are obviously upset. If you want your records faxed over, fax me the info and I will do it" Me "Okay, thanks". Half an hour later, its my OB. "Tina, I don't know what you're upset over" "Your nurse is mean and blah blah" Dr "I know, I'm firing her." What?? "I just felt today that I didn't get the best care that I except and that doesn't work for me" Dr. "I'll call you later" at the end of the day she called and apologized. She apologized for being distracted and for her nurse bitch. She said friday is her last day. She hopes I will come in on Wednesday for my appointment.

So I was thinking "She apologized right?" "I don't have to switch, right?" but then tonight it hit me. What happens the next time I feel something is wrong? Will I be ignored the same way? Not for nothing but the nurse was a bitch but the dr wasn't much better. I think I've made up my mind. I think I'll be switching. I need to do what's best for us and although I know she wouldn't compromise my babies, my being stressed and upset isn't healthy and I shouldn't dread going to my OB. So getting this off my chest, I think I should be able to continue with my night sleeping :). Am I making the right choice? Who knows...

2 comments:

Ariella said...

I can't belive they treated you that way!WOW the nerve of the Dr and the nurse. I think you are doing the right thing. Of course if you question it you can go on Wed. and then switch if you still feel you should. (((((HUGS))))) I hope they never treat you like that again.

Anonymous said...

That is incredible! I can't believe a doctor would treat any patient that way, let alone one who has had such a hard time getting pregnant! You would think she would be more sensitive to the fact that you have concerns, as any woman would. I think that switching is the right choice, but it doesn't sound like you have even met the new OB, maybe you could go in for a preliminary appointment with them or something.
If you have a hard time getting them to fax the records, you or your DH should just go in in person and demand they do it. I have found people can hide behind a phone and make you a pushover pretty easy, but when you confront them they usually just do what you need.
Anyway, good luck, hun! I hope that whatever you do eases your nerves and stress level. Good luck on the next week!