Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Surgery Day

Today was the big day.
We heard over the weekend that there was going to be a nice little winter storm headed our way and could possibly affect our drive Wednesday morning. After much thought and repeat weather checks, we decided to book a hotel and stay close to the Hospital so we were sure to make it safely . Our hotel was 1.5 miles from the hospital. Perfect location. We checked in at 9pm, girls were bathed and dressed for bed while we were at home so they were already prepared for bed. It took about an hour to get them to settle down and go to sleep but when we did, this is what we go :)

We got up at 4:30 am. I fell asleep sometime after midnight, yes I was anxious. Donald got up around 3 to check on the weather. Ice everywhere. We departed at 5:15 and had to be at the hospital at 6:15. We arrived a little after 6. Did I mention we were 1.5 miles away from the hospital? I'm so glad we decided to stay at the hotel. The girls checked in and registered. Katies surgery was at 7:15 and Karlys was at 8. Our times were delayed by an hour so we had to hang out in the play room. The girls had a blast. They were the only little ones. The other children were older and stayed in their rooms. I guess they didn't know the room contained a Wii and daddy and the girls had a great time.

Two hour is a long time to wait and we got bored while running around in the playroom (tough gig) so we headed back to our room and watched some Dora and Umizoomi. They were getting hungry and cranky and they only wanted mommy. So we sat cuddled together until they called us back. Daddy was able to snap a picture of the three of us watching cartoons.

Finally a little after 8, Katie was called back. I stayed with Karly and Donald took Katie to her room. He said she slowly went to sleep. While he was telling me, he choked up and started tearing up. That truly is the hardest part for us. Here s a pic of daddy all ready to go.

Katies surgery was quick. They came in and told me that she was fine and all went well. Donald went to recovery to be with her while I stayed with Karly. Karly went back abouut 20 to 9. She fought and screamed while they gassed her. When she went to sleep I had to leave. They put her on a breathing tube and an IV. When she came out of surgery, they wouldn't let us see her because she needed a bit of oxygen. Once she was stable, I got to hold her where she slept for an hour. Once she woke up, she freaked out. Started pulling all her wires and screaming. There was no calming her down. The nurse ended up giving her morphine so she could take her IV out. Once everyone was calm, Karly drank two full cups of apple juice and some applesauce. They were very happy with that.
Once everyone was done, we sat in the room and got dressed, watched the cartoons then went back to the playroom where we ran around like nothing happened.

We left the hospital at 12:30.
Thanks to the Lord for a great day.


Cassie said...

I'm so glad everything went smoothly! What a huge relief that must be for you. Sweet girls.

Patty said...

Oh thank goodness it all worked out! I can't imagine how scary that must have been for her waking up tubes and wires. Poor girly.

The Lane Family said...

I am glad that all went well and that the girls are doing well. I think is is always so much harder on us parents because we love them and we worry, worry, worry.

Momz Blotter said...

What a great blog!, I would love if you could visit my blogs and become a follower and I look forward to being friends.