Monday, July 28, 2008

2 weeks old today!

The loves of my life are 2 weeks old today. Last Friday, we had our 1 week well visit. It went well.

Our little Katie has def grown a lot. She went from her birth weight of 5 pounds 12 ounces to 6 pounds 4 ounces in a week. She has grown to 19 3/4 inches! She is still on the small side but she's a twin so it's perfectly normal. Her tear ducts failed to open, so her eyes need to be cleaned and massaged often. They said it could take up to a year to open. Yesterday I took her to emergency care becasue her eye was swollen and was afraid her delicate eye was infected. I was correct and now I have to put an ointment in it. I hope it clears up soon. She's a very good baby and doesn't cry much. Right now we are working on her confused day/night schedule. She likes to sleep all day and keep mommy and daddy up all night.
Our little Karly has grown too. She has gone from 5 pounds 7 ounces (came home at 5 pounds 5 ounces) to 5 pounds 10 ounces. She has grown to 19 1/2 inches! She is on the very small side but the dr said it's okay. Her tear ducts are open but her hip may be dislocated from her delivery. We have to go for an u/s to have it looked at and if it is, she'll need a cast. I was so upset Friday but have been trying to think postively. It doesn't bother her and the other drs' didn't notice (although a nurse did which is why I brought it up to the pedi). Karly is a very good sleeper. She, like her sister, also doesn't cry much but when she does it just breaks your heart.
Both babies are on the same schedule and eat every 3.5 to 4 hours. I think Katie is starting to want to eat more because my hubby fed her about 2 hours after I did and she finished the bottle. It's def okay with me because I don't think they eat enough but they don't complain so how can I.
Mommy and daddy are tired but in heaven. I have been sick since coming home but didn't realize it until Wednesday. I had dev a seroma in my incision and it was becoming infected. I had been feeling feverish and achy for the last few days, that explained it. A nurse has been coming to drain and pack it daily and I've been feeling better. Somehow in two weeks, I've lost the 36 pounds I gained plus 5 of the IVF pounds. 41 pounds! However, I still look about 5 months pregnant but I'm okay with that.
Daddy has been doing a lot. For someone who has never been around children, he is really comfortable around them. He does everything. He changes, he feeds, rocks to sleep and he even gets up for those late night feedings when I've already been up for hours, even though he has to get up early to work. He lets me sleep in until he leaves and puts sleeping babies in bed with me so I don't have to get up right away. I love him so much.


Anonymous said...

Life just sounds wonderful. I'm sorry to hear about the girl's various issues, but at least everything is getting looked at and taken care of very early! It sounds like you have a great routine and you're happy. Congrats again on such beautiful little girls. Can't wait for new pictures!

Kristen said...

I was so excited to get home from vacation to read these wonderful updates about the girls. I can't believe they are two weeks old already!!!! :-) Congrats again, Mommy!!!!!