Sunday, July 20, 2008

Birth Story..

3rd times a charm...

I've tried 3 times to post this but as you can assume, I've been interupted.

Monday morning I woke up at 6, made sure some last minute home details were finished and crawled back into bed. My plan was to wake up at 9, shower and then leave for the hospital about 1015. First off, I overslept. My phone rang at 930 and I answered it. It was the hospital asking me to be there as soon as I could because they had an opening and could do the c section when I got there. I had to skip the shower, we dressed, grabbed our bags and ran out.

When I got there, we got hooked up to IV's and monitors, talked to the doctors and got ready to go into the OR.

Once I got to the OR, they set up the spinal and layed me down. Everything is seeming good. I was so excited for the moment that I forgot one teeny tiny detail of my personality. I'm extremely claustraphobic and I have an anxiety disorder. Once I couldn't move, my worst fears came too. Not being able to move. I started hyperventilating. I couldn't think clearly anymore and was becoming very upset. The dr's told me to calm down and relax. That didn't help. Then they came in with tape and started putting tape from my stomach to my shoulders, then taping it to the table. The next thing I know I started screaming that I didnt' want to do this anymore and I couldn't go through this with this. The dr's told me to calm down or they were going to put a tube down my throat and put me to sleep, that my dh would not be allowed in the room and I would miss the birth. This upset me more. A nurse stepped in and said "get her husband, he will help her". My dh came in and told me to close my eyes and relax. It helped. I was able to calm down and they started the c section.

Baby A (Katie) was born at 12:39 pm. She was stuck, so they vacumned her out. She has a bruise but the swelling has gone down a lot. At 12:44, Baby B (Karly) was born. She was extremly difficult to get out. The dr put the mirror over me so I could watch her come out. I looked when they said "and here's B" but all I saw was a very pale, limp body laying on my stomach and drs trying to pull out her head. They pulled the mirror away and said she was stuck as well. The sight was so upsetting and I started to worry a lot. I closed my eyes, felt a lot of pushing and pulling and then the mirror was replaced and I saw her. She let out a scream and all was better. They bruised her face, well her eye, when they were pulling her out.

Both babies did great and my dh brought them over to me. After seeing them, they left and I was joined in the room with them a few hours later.


Sandi said...

I'm glad it all worked out, even though you were anxious at first. Congrats!!!

Jody jsusann said...

OMG, they are gorgeous. I have to tell you that I burst into tears when I saw their absolutely adorable faces! You must be so tired but so overwhelmingly happy. I am thrilled for you! Congrats.

Tracy said...

Congrats!!!!!! You did such a great job. Hope you're enjoying your time with them.